Thursday 13 September 2012

Very long week !

So the end of the week approaches and still very tired ! I have not trained at all this week due to my body still being angry at me ! My week long holiday leading into my 70.3 ironman was one of the best times i have ever had! I was able to spend the week with my family and topped it off with my race!
Now about my race ! My race morning started early !!! About 400 am because of the excitement of race day !
One mistake I made was the amount of walking and lack of sleep the two days before ! Our condo was about 2.5 km from the main building and transition so the day before with athletes meetings and taking my bike to transition along with mindless wandering due to nerves was about a 12 to 14 km walking day in the poring rain and cold temps!
The night before the race I was so tired I slept pretty good but not long enough and awoke race day feeling not bad !
Race morning I was almost the first to transition and stayed there most of the morning fiddling with my stuff ! My coach came by to check on me and talked to me calming me down greatly it actually felt like just a training day with him close by ! I absolutely knew I could do the distance in the allotted time I just had to do the work !
I finished setting up my transition and after the 100 th time checking it over I felt it was time to go to the swim start !
I put an old pair of shoes at the swim exit due to the long walk/run up the hill to transition ! Then we proceeded over to the swim start ! The mood of the athletes was nervousness for most and I heard lots of talk of first time for lots of folks but me I wasn't nervous at all ! I had biked it twice and had no trouble running it from my success over the last few weeks of long runs!
I put my wetsuit on and got in line with my wave of 40 to 44 year old green caps !
Down into the lake we went and filtered into the water ! The bottom of the lake was terrible squishy with tons of weeds so I went deeper and just floated waiting for the horn !
When the horn blew I waited for a second for the guys to get going and started to swim ! I was looking for a pair of feet to draft but couldn't find any that we're going strait most were swimming more sideways than strait so I kept looking, we rounded the first floaty and started swimming across the lake and still I hadn't found anyone to draft yet ! As I rounded the next floaty heading down the lake I noticed most of the athletes were making a wide sweep ! I thought I was in the wrong spot because I was the only one bit I kept going
It was a good thing I did because they all went way out of their way !
I felt someone on my toes so I just kept my pace up then about half way down the lake I turned it up a little and brought my heart rate up to 165 then backed out of it a little when I was in the home stretch ! As I climbed up the steps I was very mixed up and kind of standing there for a second and I herd Erin's voice yelling go go go then I went over to the peelers to get my wetsuit off I got up and was looking for my shoes still very confused I then herd erin yell again your shoes are over here so I slipped them on to run up and I could hear my moms voice saying are you ok ? But I couldn't seem to speak !
Up the long hill to transition I ran !


This is a long story so I will brake it up in parts !

More tomorrow !

No comments:

Post a Comment